Thursday, January 19, 2012

Not Much To Write About This Week :-)



Hej familie,
Er .. so I really don't have much to write this week. We've hit roadblocks with most of our "investigators", but that's part of the learning experience so we'll keep praying and studying. My companions are ridiculous, but that's not too far out of the norm for them. Soster Arbon and I were juggling oranges this week. I've almost almost almost got it, and we only had two explode. Only AEldste Swenson is sick, so that's unusual I guess. Usually it's at least 30% of the district (which for a district of 7 is pretty impressive). It hasn't snowed much except for about one glorious minute about ten minutes ago. The best food here is actually at the temple, so if you ever find yourselves there I highly recommend the omlettes (spelling? dunno, but they're cheesy heaven with REAL EGGS!! That's a novelty here), the quiche, and the waffles. They put a whipped cream smiley face on them. My companions and I played with the Play Dough today and made all the Spongebob characters, plus Pac Man and the Little Mermaid. We were even able to have a picnic again with the Dutch district, which just shouldn't happen in January but is amazing nonetheless. That's a really long compound word. Oh, speaking of, I'm so looking forward to the Danes. They sound amazing. A few phrases:
The news reports occurances of "car unhappies", which is where one car hits another car.
To say there's no problem, "De er ingen ko på icen." = "There is no cow in the ice."
Until the 1990's it was totally kosher to put a little "fire wine" = "vodka" in baby bottles to help them sleep.
It's common to just see groups of strollers outside shops where mothers just leave them on the street while they shop. Don't worry, they come out and turn them over ever once in a while. And from what I've heard, they're pretty quiet. This happens all during church too.
We also learned the best birthday song ever, which I'll sing belatedly in William and Greg's honor when I can call from the airport. It's pretty much fantastic.
Two versions of enie menie minie mo:
   Bip bop bu,
   Hvem lughter nu?
   Det går du!
   Bip bop bu,
   Who smells now?
   That's you!
   Okke gokke gommi klokke
   Erle perle pif paf puf
   ... I forgot the last line
   Okke gokke rubber clock
   Erle pearl pif paf puf
   Out with the bad air.
   Our teacher from Denmark taught us this, and he says no one there knows what it means either. It's just fun to say.
Things to do in Denmark:
Hamlet's castle (I cannot express my excitement. It's right on the coast by Sweden, and there's a reason it's the top of my list.)
Kristus (which they apparently take us to on the first day)
Some point in northernmost Denmark that starts with an S where you can actually wade out and see where the North Sea and the Baltic? Sea currents crash into each other going different directions. That is, if you aren't a missionary and you can go in the water.
The larger than life statue of an old Viking king (Holgar the Dane or something like that. Google will know.) in the basement of an old castle. Legend has it that in Denmark's greatest peril, he will rise from his throne, burst through the castle, and save the country Godzilla style. My question: Did he not hear about WWII, or does it have to be bigger?
The first Lego Land
Uh ... I'm out of things to say. And I still have 12 minutes?! How did this happen?
I'm sending some pictures, so expect those before too long.
Jeg elsker jer!
MKH,
Søster Morse
Mom - Thank you for the amazing package! And Katie can't have the bag back. I love it too much. It's better than anything I could have hoped to find on my own. Thank you! And thank you for being so persistent with the shoes. Feel free to open the box I sent, since the bag to return is in there. There are also some things from Christmas that I want to keep, but can't take with me. Feel free to use them next year as long as I can use them again in time for my Christmas make-up day in July with Katie O'Very. Oh, and the chips and salsa were a godsend. In this case a momsend, but you get what I mean. Oh, and there are 7 missionaries and 3 teachers in my district. Bror Stacey doesn't really like sweet things, but usually AEldste Christensen takes one for the team and eats his treats like a true friend. Or AEldste Swenson. Or Bror Pullan. We're all super close here. And I don't know where you found that yo-yo, but it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Second only to the chapstick, which I pretended was the real thing while putting it on. It's perfect. And the bookworm? He's now a sea monster attacking the little figure of that viking king in our classroom. AEldste Christensen and I made one out of packing peanuts hooked together and drew a face on it, but Bror Stacey saved the king and killed it. This time my money's on the Danish speaking book worm/dragon. No contest.
Greg - Thank you for your message in the card. It was great to hear from you, and I hope things are going well with the basement!
William - Ah, the prodigal brother writes at last. It really was great. I hope you got my card. Totally reminded me of you. I have NO idea why ... Anyway, I'd love to hear about what's going on in your life. Seriously, letters and the breakfasts at the temple once a week are all I see of the outside world.
Katie - Hahahahahaha! I loved that card. I think I've listened to it about half a billion times already. And that bag is beyond adorable. Thanks!
Dad - I'm glad to hear Grammy's birthday went well and that everything got there in time. I'll write a real letter in response later.
Cheryl - I sent you some coloring pages from the Friend to color with the boys. There are lots of other fun activities on there too. It's no Club Penguin, but maybe it's a nice Sunday alternative. Give the pudges hugs and big raspberry kisses for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment