Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 33

Kære Alle Sammen,

Some of you have heard by now, but I will be coming back home on Friday on temporary medical release. 

Let me explain. No. There's too much. Let me sum up.

It's no secret that I've been sick lately. I've talked with a bunch of doctors over here and gotten a bunch of different tests and diagnoses too, but my Danish doctor and the Mission Doctor in Germany have no idea what it is. We've been able to work half days, but that's still just frustrating. It's been going on for about 7 weeks now, and the Mission Presidency decided last Thursday to offer me this temporary medical release to go home and get the problem fixed, then reapply and hopefully come back to Denmark. This decision was only reached after a lot of prayer and after trying all we could here, and I feel like it's the right course of action. Whatever happens though, I've definitely felt the peace of the Lord in in. Even if we have no clue what's going on, He has a plan. 

Back to the important stuff.

Je blessed the sacrament yesterday. That was ... amazing beyond description. He was really nervous, but he did a great job. The ward now has 3 young men involved in blessing and passing the sacrament, which is more than I've seen in any other ward here. Two of them are converts. We've really been blessed.

Do you remember the story of Je's dad, Ku, and how he was so opposed to Je being baptized that he stopped Je's first baptismal date from happening? Since the baptism he's been giving poor Je hell. He still thinks that it's not possible to really be a Dane and a Man without the drinking and swaggering pride. Je's holding fast though, and he has his step mom, step sister, and half sister who are all members supporting him. Hopefully Ku doesn't get to Da though, Je's step brother. He's been taught on and off by the Sisters here for a while. He comes to church and everything, but doesn't really have that desire to get a testimony for himself. Weirdly enough, Ku also comes to church most Sundays. There's hope for him yet though. Yesterday the bishop announced the news of my temporary medical release and went through all the parts of a normal farewell -- including having me share my rather teary testimony (not fair! The Priesthood choir had just sung a really touching rendition of "Praise to the Man", and that song always gets me) and having everyone sing "God Be With You 'til We Meet Again" at the close of the meeting. "I'm not dead yet!" After Sacrament Meeting though, Ku came up to shake my hand. He actually seemed really sad. His eyes were even a bit misty. I've never seen him show any emotion like that. He said I fit in in Denmark, and that they'd miss me. Okay, for ANYTHING to be remotely Danish makes it automatically divine in his eyes. That might have been the biggest compliment I've ever gotten in my entire life. I'll miss him and his family too though. He really is a good man with a heart of gold beneath the scruffy Viking exterior.

On Wednesday we had a really touching experience with Ol too. You know how much I love that guy. We'd planned to meet up for a lesson, but there was a miscommunication somehow and it didn't end up happening. When we texted Ol, he said he was too depressed to schedule another appointment right then. We were a bit freaked out. That's not at all like him. We apologized with everything we had, but he reassured us that it wasn't our fault in any way. He wasn't sad about the meeting. You all know Ol is crazy, right? Like how he biked from Aarhus to Copenhagen? He's also run in the New York and Boston marathons and LOVES running. The Berlin Marathon was this weekend, and he had been training up to go to it for 3 years, and had plans to go with 2 of his friends. He's been super excited for it. However, he injured his hip a few months ago, and his trainer and doctor told him it wasn't strong enough yet, and he couldn't run in the race. He was crushed, of course. We were at the train station to catch a train to Aarhus, but he really wanted to see us before we left. He rushed all the way to the station to catch us before the train. I just wanted to hug him when he got there! Poor guy. Apparently, he's been in a lot of pain for the last few weeks and just didn't want to tell anyone. We chatted for a little bit, and he brought us a gift he'd been planning on bringing to our appointment. He remembered that we said we liked Harry Potter, so he gave each of us a children's fantasy book he'd found. Seriously, Ol is the sweetest guy. We said a prayer with him right there on the platform before the train left and you know what? I don't know if I've ever felt the Spirit stronger with Ol than on that noisy platform. He also said he would love to get a Priesthood blessing, so we've worked that out for Wednesday. It'll be sad to say goodbye to him. 

This is all so surreal, but ... I guess I'll see you guys soon!

Jeg elsker jer!
Søster Morse


Mom - I just responded to your e-mail, but if you have any more questions, you can also e-mail the mission office at dendanskemission@gmail.com . They'll be able to answer you sooner. I love you!

Dad - How funny is it that we just barely miss each other? Don't worry about it though. I'll see you guys when you get back. Thank you so much for your e-mail. You were the first person I got to talk to after getting the news (besides my companion and the Elders who were with us at the time), so I'm sorry I was so emotional. You know exactly how it is though, and how much you come to love every part of your mission. Thank you so so so much for your words of comfort. And yes, Gloria's sounds perfect, but only if you think you'll be able to go back to American Italian food so soon after the real thing. I love you.

Katie - Have fun in Italy! That sounds stupid. Who needs to be told to have fun in Italy? Anyway, you'll have loads of fun. I can't wait to hear all your stories when you get back. The tables have turned! Now I'll be the one waiting for YOU to get home from Europe!

William - Everyone else will be in Europe or back at work, so plan on spending a loooooooot of quality time with your favorite big sister. Just a heads up.

Supreme Mugwump - Yeah, I definitely need to send your package now, huh. I've also got a letter for you. And none of this news should come as a surprise to you, but thanks for your encouragement through it all. I'll write you even more while I'm State side. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment